StopTheMadness is an extension for Safari, Firefox, Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and Brave that stops web sites from making your browser harder to use. And it protects your privacy on the web. StopTheMadness is not an ad blocker: it offers unique features not available from ad blockers or any other apps. StopTheMadness is one of a kind!
(Chrome, Edge, and Brave require enabling "Developer mode" in the Extensions window.)
Many web sites disable user interface features in your browser that you normally expect to work. StopTheMadness ensures that those features continue to work for you in your browser:
• command-click and middle-click to open a link in a new tab
• command-key keyboard shortcuts
• opening contextual menus
• selecting, copying, cutting, and pasting of text
• drag and drop
• AutoFill/autocomplete of passwords, emails, etc.
With StopTheMadness enabled, the annoying web sites that deliberately make your life harder suddenly become easy to use again!
StopTheMadness also protects your privacy on the web:
• Stops hyperlink auditing (anchor "ping")
• Stops tracking beacons (Navigator.sendBeacon)
• Stops clickjacking in Google Search results
• Stops clickjacking in Gmail
• Removes tracking parameters such as utm_source, gclid, and fbclid from links
• Stops sites from using the Page Visibility API to know when a tab is visible on your screen
• Stops video auto-play. This works even on sites where Safari's Auto-Play Preferences don't work.
• Warns when you paste or type beyond the maximum length in a password field or other text field. Stops you from accidentally losing characters! (Feature not available in Firefox.)
• Stops "Are you sure you want to leave this page?" alerts. Close your tabs without getting stopped by the site!
• Force links to open in the current tab instead of a new tab. Remove target="_blank" from links so that they no longer automatically create a new tab.
• Stops scrolljacking, restoring smooth scrolling
• Automatically open clicked links in other apps. You can specify rules in StopTheMadness such as open zoommtg links in Zoom, open https://docs.google.com links in Google Chrome, open https://bit.ly links in Link Unshortener, and even don't open https://facebook.com links at all, to keep you from accidentally opening Facebook!
• Open links with an alternative browser from Safari's contextual menu.
• Stops Safari from automatically submitting login forms. AutoFill login forms and then make changes such as checking "Remember Me" or take CAPTCHA tests before submitting.
StopTheMadness is made by indie developer Jeff Johnson. If you need support, please email me at email@example.com or read the support site at https://underpassapp.com/StopTheMadness/support.html
What's new in v15.1
• Significantly improved performance on some extremely large web sites.
• New "Textarea" website option to protect multi-line text editors.
This is usually not needed, but you can enable it in cases where the site is blocking you from copy and paste.
• Added "Focus and blur" website option to the Firefox and Chrome extensions. This already existed in the Safari extension.